Thursday, 6 March 2014

Victoria Sponge Cake

Hey guys! Sorry for slacking the last two weeks with the blog posts but I haven't had a chance so whilst I have a little spare time I thought I'd write this and get it up asap. I was going to do a makeup haul but I was baking so I thought I'd use the opportunity to do a Recipe post. Hopefully you'll like it and I'll get started now!

What you will need;

175g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
175g self-raising flour
jam(however much you like)
100ml double cream(optional)
1 tbsp icing sugar(optional)


Firstly, of course, wash your hands and pre heat your oven to 180`c/350`f/gas mark 4 and grease two 20 cm sandwich tins with butter or line them with greaseproof paper. Anything that will prevent it sticking.

Then it's onto the actual baking part. Begin by creaming the butter and caster sugar together until it is pale and fluffy.

Next, start adding in the beaten eggs gradually whist continuing to beat the mixture(you could use an electric whisk but I chose not to) It will look a little bit disgusting at this point but don't worry, it won't at the end!

After this, sift in the flour and use a metal spoon to fold the flour in to the mixture to prevent losing the fluffiness and lightness of the mixture.

Then evenly distribute the mixture between your two sandwich tins and use a knife or spatula to level the mixture out so both tins look similar.

Now all you have to do is place both tins in the oven but be careful as it will be hot so use oven proof gloves or ask for someone's help, you don't want to burn yourself!


 Simply leave them to cook then for 25-30 minutes or until well risen, golden brown and beginning to shrink away from the edges. You can use a knife to check if they're cooked, just make a small hole using the knife and if it comes out the cake clean then they are cooked. 
Using your oven proof gloves or help from someone, take your cakes out the oven and leave them to cool a few minutes before taking them out the sandwich tins and leaving to cool longer.

Whilst waiting for the cakes to cool you can whisk the double cream(if you are using it) If you don't have an electric whisk then this could take a while but if you do then I'd suggest using that to just simply whisk the cream until thick.

Once your cakes are cool you can then spread a layer of jam on one cake.

And spread your cream onto the other cake.

Then layer one on top of the other and you are done! Unless you want to sprinkle some icing sugar on the top or you can decorate it however you'd like.
And Voilaaaaa!! 

Now all that's left is to cut into it and take a bite! I actually really liked this cake, if I do say so  myself! It is soo tasty and a really nice snack or pudding. Although it's not the healthiest, it is fine in moderate proportion and everyone is allowed a treat... or two.. 

So, I hope you have enjoyed this blog post. I really enjoy doing recipe ones so if you would like me to do other then let me know, it's an excuse for me to bake. I could do some healthy foods or  meals instead of just cakes and sweet things, if that's what you want.
 Thanks for reading!!
Where to find me














Love Liv xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment